If I made this mistake, I’m sure someone else has too.
I have a small website I maintain with a friend where we sell reusable static cling vinyl window snowflakes. I believe we produce the highest quality snowflake on the market, and we sell it on Etsy, eBay, Amazon, and on our own website at www.windowflakes.com.
For the website at windowflakes.com, I was showing it to some family members tonight when it came up with an SSL error. Something along the lines of “this certificate is not trusted”, etc, etc. Ahh! This is our busy season! They were using IE9, but still I figured maybe I had let the certificate expire or something else was going on. A little bit of research now that I’m home and I see that I didn’t install it properly.
Some Google searching and I ended up here:
You can type in your domain name and have it validate the certificate for you. I did that and it passed on all entries, except for the last. “None of the common names in the certificate match the name that was entered www.windowflakes.com. You may receive an error when accessing this site in a web browser.”
Fortunately, they also provide links to the fix:
So I ended up here, since I got the certificate from StartSSL and use nginx:
And a few minutes later - fixed. All you need to do is merge the regular certificate file with the intermediary certificates you can download from the provider’s website. Ran it again, and all was fine.
Go double check your SSL certificates are installed correctly too!